Products Filters Parts F.A.Q.s Promotions My Account View Cart
Reverse Osmosis Technlogy Water Education
& Your Health
Customer Reviews
& Testimonials
Talk to a WQA Certified
Water Specialist

What to Do When Filter Housing is Leaking?

If you are experiencing a leak with any of the Pre Filter housings on the Reverse Osmosis System, the Rubber O Ring maybe defective. The filter housing must have an O Ring in order to seal properly. Please review the steps below to address a leaking filter housing.

Please follow the steps below:

  • Shut off the feed water line to the RO unit. Turn off the tank ball valve, by turning the Blue Cap on the tank ball valve 90 degrees.
  • Unscrew the filter housing that is leaking.
  • Make sure an O Ring is present inside the filter housing.
  • If an O Ring is present, make sure it is seated correctly inside the filter housing groove. If the O Ring appears to be stretched out and not seating properly in the groove, you must replace the O ring.
  • You may also want to apply some Vaseline around the O ring. This will help secure the O Ring in the filter housing groove.
  • Re-attach the filter housing to the RO head. Hand tighten the housing, then use the filter housing wrench and simply give an additional quarter inch turn. Do Not over tighten the housing.
  • Open the tank ball valve and feed water line. Check for leaks.
  • If the filter housing continues to leak, the O ring maybe damaged and needs to be replaced, or the filter housing cap maybe faulty.
  • If the housing continues to leak, shutoff the feed water and tank ball valve again.
  • Switch the leaking housing with one of the other housings on the Ro unit. For instance, if Stage 1housing is leaking, switch Stage 1 and 2 around.
  • Turn back on the water and test for leaks.
  • If the original leaking housing is still leaking after the switch, the O Ring is defective and needs to be replaced.
  • If the original leaking housing stops leaking, but now there is a leak on the housing that was switched, then the filter housing cap is defective and needs to be replaced. Please contact an APEC Representative for replacement assistance.

If the issue was not addressed, please contact us at:
800-880-4808, or

About Water Quality Specialist

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.